Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Week 25

I found this a really compelling account of Jakarta's past struggles and future ambitions. And I'll be curious whether the completed MTR does indeed benefit Jokowi's popularity.

This seems like a huge project that will alter the Pearl River Delta for generations to come (perhaps even the global balance of power altogether), so I plan to keep a close eye on all of it. If I ever get back to Hong Kong, I wonder what the effect will look like on the ground.

A sponsored article, but I do like the idea of arriving on Japan's western shores for a change. As convenient as the shinkansen is, you still lose a lot of hours riding it cross-country. And since I don't often have much time to spend abroad, every little bit helps. Fukuoka could be very useful to me one day.

Marylanders continue to be suckers, and it sounds like the only reason they don't want Hogan running for president is so that they can keep him here. Unfortunately there's not much to do now except wait until 2022...

This essay is a bit misleading. It starts from the premise that proto-humans culled violent males from their population and domesticated themselves, but it slowly lays out a more convincing theory: female proto-human females selected against violent males, thus facilitating an evolutionary feedback loop. I like that a lot, and I would love to hear more in the future.

Why the USA can't build any good infrastructure. Another strike against reformism, in my opinion. This seems so futilely complex that only a total redo could suffice.

UKG, gone but not forgotten. I used to love UKG when I was younger, but grime won me over in adulthood. No insult intended; I still go wild for shuffling hi-hats. Still, I forget sometimes that it was a whole sub-culture, a memory still burning in the minds of many.

A good account of how coercive sex and rape culture are co-constitutive. Or, alternatively, rape culture is a structure, and sexual coercion is what reproduces it in the day-to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment