Monday, October 29, 2018

Week 8

Another enticing Cinema Scope review, this time for MANTA RAY.

I hate the framing of articles like this. The title suggests that, because 'neither side' is happy with a minimum wage increase, this is just some unsolvable crisis with no known solution or root cause. But actually parsing out the situation reveals a well-known dilemma: the workers demand better pay, and the bosses don't want to pay them more! Could this story be more familiar? Whatever your opinion about the best approach, it helps nobody to make the problem into an abstraction when a straightforward description is both easier and clearer.

In other Hong Kong news.

I liked this essay on Bergman's FANNY AND ALEXANDER a lot. I admire the film plenty, but it's among the few I feel more distant towards. Reading at as the terminal point of Bergman's drift into the world of dreams, the fullest expression of his subjectivized cinema, makes me eager to rewatch it.

Although the Democrats did end up winning back the House, I can't argue with Richard Seymour's view from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment